40-ACRE MICHIGAN WOODED RECREATIONAL PARCEL FOR SALE! This property is located in Harris Township, in north-eastern Menominee County, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Menominee County has a rich farming heritage. Early farm records date from the 1850s. In the 1920s, it was the most important industry in the county, and farming continues today. Hay, corn, barley and oats are the leading field crops. Weather and soil conditions are especially conducive to dairy farming. Menominee County was Michigan’s 16th leading milk producer in 2007 and is referred to as the “Dairy Capital of the Upper Peninsula (U.P.) of Michigan”. Harris Township extends 24 miles north-south and is generally 6 miles wide. Highways US-2/41 and M-69 are the major roadways. Dairying and the Island Resort and Casino, an enterprise of the Hannahville Indian Community that opened in 1998, are the major commercial activities today. The 40-Acre Parcel has frontage on year-round accessible Highway M-69, and on a side road, Shiversky Road. The nearest town to the north is LaBranch, about three miles away. Labranche was a station on the Metropolitan branch of the Chicago and North Western Railroad which served to get the Upper Peninsula’s vast lumber resources to larger markets. This Village along with other small town communities serving the lumber, mill, and rail industries popped up along this railway. The Village formed in 1882, and was named after the pioneer settler Israel Labranche. The village at one time had a saw and shingle mill, general store, saloon and post office. The railroad branch that went through La Branche was decommissioned in about 1970. Today, a well preserved school house along Highway 69 remains from its heyday. It is now the township hall and serves as a social center for community events. The Labranche Tavern is located about a ½ mile up Highway 69 from the schoolhouse. It is a popular establishment visited by locals and tourists. The tavern is next to a historic home. Less than three miles to the south of the property is the Village of Whitney. Very few signs of the former community remain today - but in the 1800s this settlement once included charcoal kilns, a general store, post office and a hotel, and was named for land surveyor Charles Whitney. A 1911 Map of Memominee County shows that the parcel offered for sale, was located in Dryad, which is a Greek word for "oak tree". Every tree, as mythology proposes, is thought to house spirits, or lesser deities known as nymphs, within them. They uniquely exist to watch over and care for the tree they are born with. Dryads are always female and usually inhabit oak, although they can also be found within ash, pine, poplar, apple and laurel trees. It will be interesting if more details can be found about this. Menominee County is Game-Rich! It is know for a high concentration of whitetail deer, black bear, turkey, pheasant, and waterfowl. There are thousands of acres of...Continued In Addendum
Remarks Continued: State Public Access Hunting Lands and Corporate CFA Lands near the property. If you are seeking an affordable recreational parcel contact us today!